I am Free From the Curses of Men
By Eric Jinkwen;
Proverbs 26:2 "Like a fluttering sparrow or a darting swallow, an undeserved curse will not land on its intended victim."
Today, we are studying curses inflicted by humans. This cause is the most rampant cause of curses today because many people out of anger, frustration, disappointment and other circumstances, use their mouth to utter negative and evil words to others.
This cause of curses may even concern some parents who because of a wrong action of their children declare negative statements on them such as: “You are a very stubborn child”, “You good for nothing child, idiot…” or “You are too slow and foolish”, and so on. Those are words that transfer curses.
Such statements can even result out of an argument with a friend, a relative or even with a customer or trader at the market.
I am counselling a man who was inflicted a curse of poverty by the uncle because of quarrel over the bride prize money. For almost 20 years, life has been very hard for this man and his family.
There are examples in the Bible of curses pronounced by humans.
- In Joshua 6: 26, Joshua pronounced a curse around 1300 BC on anyone who will rebuild Jericho; he said it will be at the death of his two sons. And around 800 BC, about 500 years later in 1 Kgs 16:34, the curse worked against Hiel who lost his two sons. Curses are transgenerational.
- David pronounced a dangerous curse on Mount Gilboa after King Saul and Jonathan’s death around 1000 BC in 2 Samuel 1:21: Mount Gilboa until today is unfruitful for agriculture, that is about 3000 years ago. There could be curses pronounced by humans over the compound, the quarter, the city, country where you live. Think about the blood of many innocents crying for vengeance in the NOSO. At the end of this devotion, take time to declare your freedom, in Jesus name.
Read also: How to deal with curses
- Gehazi was cursed with leprosy by Elisha; it was a transgenerational curse, inherited by his children, 2 Kings 5:26-27. You be victim of a curse provoked ignorantly by your parents. Also, be careful whom you offend, their words can affect your life and your children’s destiny.
- Jesus cursed a fig tree in Mark 11:12-14. About 24 hours later the three dried up (V20-22).
Child of God, we have tremendous power in Christ; we use it rightly to bless and promote. There is power in your mouth, you can speak and have it happen. The Bible reveals that “Life and death are in the power of the tongue”.
Use your mouth rightly to declare positive things. (Matthew 12:37).
Don’t be scared to use your mouth to bless and build lives. Until Moses threw the staff, he never knew its power. Speak the words.
Prayer: On the basis of Proverbs 26:2 and Galatians 3:13-14, break the power of any curse operating in your family, tribe, quarter, city or country over your life and affairs and declare your freedom in Jesus name.
Respect to Authority is a Divine Mandate that frees you from Curses
Romans 13:1: "Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God."
As we read through the Bible, we see that another major cause of curses in many people’s lives including Christians is Disrespect or Dishonor to People in Authority.
Beloved, God is a God of order and honour. God recognizes those in authority and demands respect and honour to them. Authority does not mean dictatorship, but simply means order, calling, and principle. Even in the trinity, there is order, calling and principle.
There are different levels of authority established by God in the world for the good running of human society and relationships.
- The Supreme authority of God over all people.
- The authority of parents over children.
- The authority of husbands over their wives.
- The authority of teachers over their pupils or students.
- The authority of Government over citizens.
- The authority of pastors and clergymen over their congregants.
We can even expand it to other sectors such as directors over subordinates and so on. The bottom line is this, we cannot expect God to bless us and prosper us when we live in open rebellion to the authorities under which we are placed. Every rebellion to an authority places us directly in the camp of the devil who rebelled against God’s authority.
For example, when someone leaves a church in rebellion and disobedience and moves to another church expecting to be blessed there, he or she will only meet with frustration. The Ecclesiastical order is one. God is one and the church of God is one. Despite the many denominations in the world, there is only one universal church. And the Bible says, the lesser is blessed by the better or greater (Hebrews 7:7). Blessings always flows from top to bottom. Oil flows from the head of Aaron to his bears and robe.
My friend, submit to the authority under which you have been placed for now, either parents, husband, director general, pastor, teacher, etc. and it shall be well with you. Tomorrow we shall see more about government authority.
Numbers 23:23: “For there is no sorcery against Jacob, Nor any divination against Israel. It now must be said of Jacob And of Israel, ‘Oh, what God has done!’"
Being a child of God is not just a guarantee for the life to come, it is also a great blessing for the life that now is. When you become born again, you are free from past curses of the Law and also every other curse pronounce on or against you by evil men representing Satan such as witch doctors, diviners, enchanters, occult men, etc.
These are satanic and diabolic priests who stand on city altars and city gates to pronounce evil on the city dwellers. They are strong men and strong women in villages who walk over people at night to frustrate their dreams and projects. These are people who work for Satan to feed him with information concerning the city or the village they are in charge of.
Remember that Satan is not omnipresent; he cannot be everywhere at the same time; he works with agents and territory demons who keeps him informed. Jesus said, While men are sleeping, an enemy sow tares. So, these evil priests pronounce evils and badluck, that is sowing tares in people’s projects and investments through their divinations and enchantments.
Such was what Balak wanted to do with Israel.
Balak hired Balaam to curse the Israelites as they were on their way out of Egypt to the Promise Land (Numbers 22 to 24). Balak never wanted the good of Israel. He never wanted them to reach their goal. So, he resulted to divination and sorcery. Beloved, there are many people like that around you. They wish you never get married, have children, have a job, prosper. May God’s vengeance come on them.
Here is an except of Balaam and Balak conversation:
“God is not a man, that He should lie, Nor a son of man, that He should repent. Has He said, and will He not do? Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good? Behold, I have received a command to bless; He has blessed, and I cannot reverse it. “He has not observed iniquity in Jacob, Nor has He seen wickedness in Israel. The LORD his God is with him, And the shout of a King is among them…“For there is no sorcery against Jacob, Nor any divination against Israel. It now must be said of Jacob And of Israel, ‘Oh, what God has done!’
What can we learn from this passage?
- God’s presence is always with His people to protect them.
- When God blesses you, no witch or wizard can reverse it. So, stop being afraid of them.
- Sin can be an open door to the curse of evil men. Balak did not observe a sin in Israel, therefore he could not curse them. What if there was sin? So, do not allow any sin to linger around you or in your life. It can expose you to the curses of the enemy. Repent and clean yourself in Jesus’ blood.
May God bless and protect you as you walk in this life. Hallelujah!